Understanding Pulpotomy: A Quick Guide for Parents
Pulpotomy : In the world of pediatric dentistry, terms like “pulpotomy” might sound intimidating, but fear not! Let’s understand what pulpotomy is and why it’s crucial for your child’s dental health.
What is Pulpotomy?
A pulpotomy is a dental procedure designed specifically for kids. It involves the partial removal of the pulp, the innermost part of the tooth containing nerves and blood vessels. The aim is to treat and preserve the affected tooth, preventing further complications.
When is it Necessary?
- Deep Cavities: Pulpotomy becomes necessary when a deep cavity reaches the pulp. This can happen if a cavity goes untreated for an extended period.
- Injury or Trauma: Accidents happen, and if your child experiences dental trauma, it may lead to pulp exposure, requiring a pulpotomy.
- Anesthesia: Before starting the procedure, the dentist will administer local anesthesia to ensure your child is comfortable and pain-free.
- Pulp Removal: The damaged part of the pulp is removed, leaving the healthy portion intact. This is a key step in preventing the spread of infection.
- Medication: The remaining space is filled with a medicated material to promote healing and prevent future infections.
- Crown Placement: In most cases, a crown is placed over the treated tooth to provide additional protection and restore its functionality.
Why is Pulpotomy Important?
- Preservation of Natural Teeth: By addressing issues early through pulpotomy, your child’s natural tooth can be preserved, avoiding the need for extraction.
- Preventing Infections: Pulpotomy helps eliminate infected pulp, reducing the risk of spreading infections to surrounding teeth.
- Restoring Functionality: With the placement of a crown, the treated tooth can regain its strength and functionality, allowing your child to chew and bite comfortably.
What is Cost of Pulpotomy for Kids?
In essence, pulpotomy is a vital dental procedure for kids, ensuring their oral health is safeguarded. If you suspect your child may need a pulpotomy or if you have further questions, consult with our experienced pedeatric dentist at the Center for Dental Implants & Esthetics, Gurgaon.
Dr. Jyoti Singh (MDS), Diplomate WICO (Japan region) stands as a beacon of excellence in implantology within Delhi NCR region. She is a BDS and MDS(Prostho) both from Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, where she secured top honors with all India rank 1 in PG entrance examination. Her extensive experience at esteemed institutions like Clove Dental and her own Center for Dental Implants & Esthetics since 2016, Dr. Singh embodies unparalleled expertise in dental implants.
Boasting a wealth of 16 years in dentistry and backed by 18 groundbreaking research papers in leading international journals (google scholar), she epitomizes the pinnacle of proficiency and innovation in her field. She practices in Gurugram as your friendly dentist near me.