How Braces Work: A Guide for Beginners
How braces work : If you’re thinking about getting braces to improve your smile, it’s important to know how they work. Braces are a common dental treatment that straightens teeth and jaw, it can also fix bite issues.
Today, we’ll explain how braces work. Let’s explore the fascinating world of braces together!
What are Braces and How Braces Work?
- Braces are made up of 03 components brackets, wires, and bands.
- These brackets can be made up of metal or ceramic, arch wire is always made of metal, bands are ligature wire is made up of rubber, looks like rubber bands
- Braces gently push your teeth into the right position over time.
Components of Braces: Where are they placed
- Brackets: Small pieces attached to your teeth using composite material, they remain there till teh treatment ends
- Archwire: Thin wire connecting the brackets. This wire applies pressure on teeth, Orthodontist decides amount of pressure to be applied and also when the wire needs to changed
- Ligatures or O-rings: Small elastic bands holding the wire in place on top of brackets
- Some braces called self ligating braces do not have ligature wire instead, bracket has a gate which holds the archwire in place.
The Process of Braces
- Orthodontic Consultation: The dentist will examine your teeth and create a personalized plan.
- Placing the Braces: The brackets will be carefully attached to your teeth, and the wire will be threaded through them.
- Adjustments: Regular visits to the dentist to adjust the wire tension and guide your teeth.
- Elastic Bands: Sometimes, small elastic bands help correct bite problems by adding extra pressure.
- Orthodontic Appliaces: Like expanders, face mask etc are used for correcting jaw misalignement
How Braces Move Teeth:
- Continuous Pressure: The wire applies gentle and constant pressure on your teeth.
- Bone Remodeling: The pressure reshapes the bone around your teeth, allowing them to move.
- Periodontal Ligament: This ligament connects your teeth to the jawbone and helps transmit the pressure.
Duration of Braces Treatment:
- Treatment time depends on the severity of your dental issues.
- On average, braces treatment time ranges from one to two years, with regular adjustments.
Oral Hygiene with Braces:
- Brushing and Flossing: It’s crucial to keep your teeth clean during braces treatment. Your dentist will show you how to brush and floss properly.
- Food Restrictions : Avoid sticky or hard foods to prevent damage to the braces. Your dentist will give you a list of foods to avoid.
After Braces Treatment:
- Retention Phase: Once your teeth are in the right position, you may need to wear a retainer to maintain the results.
- Retainers can be removable or fixed, and your dentist will guide you on how often to wear them.
Braces work by applying gentle pressure to move your teeth into the right place. Understanding how braces work will help you make informed decisions and have realistic expectations.
Consult with our orthodontist to see if braces are right for you and get personalized guidance. Soon, you’ll have a straighter and more confident smile!
Dr. Jyoti Singh (MDS), Diplomate WICO (Japan region) stands as a beacon of excellence in implantology within Delhi NCR region. She is a BDS and MDS(Prostho) both from Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, where she secured top honors with all India rank 1 in PG entrance examination. Her extensive experience at esteemed institutions like Clove Dental and her own Center for Dental Implants & Esthetics since 2016, Dr. Singh embodies unparalleled expertise in dental implants.
Boasting a wealth of 16 years in dentistry and backed by 18 groundbreaking research papers in leading international journals (google scholar), she epitomizes the pinnacle of proficiency and innovation in her field. She practices in Gurugram as your friendly dentist near me.